httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: config/2654: APACI autoconfig generates broken Configure.apaci
Date Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:53:48 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.4.00.9807212105340.221-100000@alive.znep.com> you wrote:

> Sigh.  Broken broken broken.

> First, the single unix spec grandly declares that echo shall take no
> options and everyone should use printf to do anything useful.

> Second, (my) history says that echo shouldn't interpret unless it gets -e.

> On top of that, even according to the single unix spec "\1" should _NOT_
> be treated as an octal because it isn't \01.

> Obviously, we can't just use -E.

> What is this echo that causes problems anyway, and where is \1 being used?

It isn't used anywhere inside APACI as far as I know and looked now. We use
\\1, sure, but that's ok. And I never discovered problems under a Linux box.
So, either the box of the PR submitter is totally crazy or I cannot see the
point where it should fail. IMHO his Linux box or at least his /bin/echo is
broken. My Debian box has no problems. But we should ask for more details...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com