httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-devsite how-to-release.html
Date Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:08:57 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.980721120215.17089p-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:

> Let me be more explict: this stuff looks like it is completely broken when
> we release betas.

> We are going through the exact same thing we went through before with
> different release identifiers...

> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

>> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>>
>> > rse         98/07/21 03:28:45
>> >
>> >   Modified:    .        how-to-release.html
>> >   Log:
>> >   Make sure the V.R.P triple for SHARED_CORE is correct when releasing.
>>
>> Is it just me, or are the number of different places where essentially the
>> same info is repeated in slightly different forms with slightly different
>> conventions (eg. beta/nonbeta/-dev versions) getting crazy?

Its not as problematic as you might think. Because most of the systems don't
use .so.V.R.P extensions, some use .so.V.R and currently no one really needs
.so.V.R.P (proof: check SHLIB_SUFFIX_DEPTH defines in src/Configure -
.so.V.R.P needs SHLIB_SUFFIX_DEPTH=3).

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com