httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: config/2590: Linking of modules libs (fwd)
Date Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:14:43 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.980713093610.31486B-100000@twinlark.arctic.org> you wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

>> Exactly. It is overkill to link the helper programs and the support programs
>> for instance with complete Oracle libs under PHP3 situations but the only
>> correct way is to have more granular LIBS variables. Because this would
>> require too much hacking for Apache 1.3 we _have_ to accept this overkill.
>> So, just close the PR with such a statement, Marc. IMHO we have no other
>> choice for 1.3.

> We could use EXTRA_LIBS_httpd, EXTRA_LIBS_htpasswd, ... and similarly
> EXTRA_CFLAGS_httpd, ... as special cases to modify each executable.

Sure, but this means we have to do some hacking. We have to add varianbles to
Configuration.tmpl, code in Configure and configure for setting them to
defaults and code in the Makefile.tmpl for using them, etc. I personally think
its a more than we really want to accept to change just to get rid of this
overkill. Is it worth the effort? If yes, ok, I volunteer for this job when I
find time because the current overkill is annoying to me, too. Should I take
some time and check for a clean but not too advanced solution?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com