httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: config/2590: Linking of modules libs (fwd)
Date Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:39:52 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.980712101158.6149E-100000@alive.znep.com> you wrote:

> We need to link things in support against the extra libraries we figure
> out automatically, since in general we may need things like libcrypt,
> lib*db*, etc.

> The only thing we could do is not include libs specified in EXTRA_LIBS.
> I'm not thrilled with that, however, since it means that if users do need
> some extra library to make it work right, they can't compile stuff in
> support.

> So my suggestion would be to just close the PR and say we don't have much
> choice, and it doesn't really hurt too much.

Exactly. It is overkill to link the helper programs and the support programs
for instance with complete Oracle libs under PHP3 situations but the only
correct way is to have more granular LIBS variables. Because this would
require too much hacking for Apache 1.3 we _have_ to accept this overkill.
So, just close the PR with such a statement, Marc. IMHO we have no other
choice for 1.3.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com