httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: compat.h
Date Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:59:04 GMT

In article <Pine.WNT.3.96.980712120509.-194813E-100000@shell.lerdorf.on.ca> you wrote:
>> Rasmus Lerdorf <rasmus@lerdorf.on.ca> wrote:
>> > I suppose it needs to be done.  A lot of modules out there will be
>> > affected though.  It will break builds of at least mod_auth_mysql and
>> > mod_php3.
>>
>> Even if we keep the current Apache compat.h in place but change it's
>> contents to be only #include "ap_compat.h"??  I suggested that exactly
>> to prevent such breakage.

> Right, but it looked like Jim was suggesting we just rename the file
> without that.  It might be cleaner in the long run to do that, although
> the immediate headache would be less if we did it your way.  Personally I
> don't really care.  I am on the ball here and will make the change to
> mod_php to have it check for an ap_compat.h file as soon as I see the
> commit message.

I've also +1 for the following change because of known problems:

   compat.h     -rename->     ap_compat.h

   conf.h       -rename->     ap_config.h

   conf_auto.h  -generated->  ap_config_auto.h
   +ap_config.h

plus compat.h and conf.h files with just the contents "#include <....>".  I
can make the complete change if enough +1 are out there and no -1.  Needs a
lot of places to change, but nothing too critical. So I don't expect to break
the current state with such a change. But we really have to make sure to
provide files with the old names for backward compatibility.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com