httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: ./configure install on MIPS
Date Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:26:59 GMT
no you wrote :-)
>In article <199806041828.OAA25549@siam.gensym> you wrote:
>
>> If I change all the -x to -f so that problem with the MIPS test
>> not supporting -x is avoided then ./configure works on the
>> MIPS, and the make proceeds fine, but then the install fails.
>
>This will be fixed by me today.
>
>>   > uname -a
>>   ULTRIX th 4.1 0 RISC
>>   > pwd
>>   /tmp_mnt/home/gw/tmp/aa/bt/mips/apache_1.3.0
>>   > make -n install
>>   if [ ! -f ./src/.apaci.build.ok ]; then      make -f Makefile  root= build;  fi
>>   *** Error code 1
>>
>>   Stop.
>>   > sh -c 'if [ ! -f ./src/.apaci.build.ok ]; then      make -f Makefile  root=
build;  fi'
>>   > echo $status
>>   1
>>
>> An else clause (e.g.
>>  if [ ! -f ./src/.apaci.build.ok ]; then make -f Makefile  root= build; else echo
foo; fi)
>> works around this one.
>
>Yeah, seems this is the general problem with braindead shells.
>Does is mean you really get a return code of 1 when you
>execute
>
> sh -c 'if [ 0 = 1 ]; then fuck; fi'
>
>? If yes, we have to make add "else :" statements to all if-statements in our
>Makefiles. I always get return code 0 for the above under FreeBSD and Linux
>/bin/sh and GNU bash....

This is a problem only on the Ultrix 4.1 I've got.  (It only takes
one to ruin the elevator ride).  I fixed it with "else cat /dev/null; fi"
which made be think about how I don't know what the canonical no-op
shell comand is.  Possibly "else status=0; fi" is better.

This was the only place it was fatal.  The install goal has lots
of make commands prefixed with -@ that on ultrix announce "error -1 ignored"
though.

>                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

 - ben hyde