httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <alvaro-ht...@lander.es>
Subject Re: patch for mod_unique_id
Date Mon, 08 Jun 1998 09:36:14 GMT
On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I'm curious why you still want to cast time_t to an unsigned int... your
> code adapts to 64-bit time_t... is it just because we can't be sure to
> have an htonl macro that takes a time_t?
> Dean

Yes, but also I thought about two more important reasons:
-Even if it worked, in some cases we'd be generating 4 extra
 bytes that would always equal zero (at least during the next
 century), hence resulting in tokens always starting with
 "AAAAAA"; somehow that's a waste.
-Also, we'd have different length tokens on different platforms:
 i.e. on linux/intel we'd have something 19 bytes long, and on
 linux/alpha 24 bytes; probably that's not desirable.
Regards.

|   Alvaro Martínez Echevarría   |      LANDER SISTEMAS            |
|        alvaro@lander.es        |      Pº Castellana, 121         |
                                 |      Tel: +34-91-5562883        |
                                 |      Fax: +34-91-5563001        |