httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Question about ScriptLog and CGI output to stderr...
Date Wed, 01 Jul 1998 01:39:15 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 01:20 PM 6/29/98 -0700, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> >On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, W G Stoddard wrote:
> >
> >> Information (written to stdout or stderr) is recorded in the ScriptLog only
> >> when the script exists with error status, otherwise this information is
> >> discarded...  True?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> I would propose that stderr also get logged here on successes....

Probably could be done. Except that currently the ScriptLog format is
(IIRC) machine-parsable, so that might screw up some things.

It should be noted in all this though, that ScriptLog was never designed,
and should not be used, on a production (live) server. It's inefficient
and (as Dean points out), doesn't quite work right. And involves rewriting
OSes to get right.

*shrug*

[...]

> >> Is it acceptable to allow unformatted CGI error data to be written to
> >> the Apache error log?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> Conceptually, I would disagree; it should be encapsulated into the rest of
> the error log format somehow, so that error log parsing scripts can
> reasonably deal with it.

Well, sure, ideally. I thought the question was as to how it's suposed to
work now.