httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: ap_setup_client_block() perversity
Date Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:58:58 GMT
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Ah, I get it. You mean if we get T-E and no C-L, we say "give me a C-L
> (instead of a T-E)". If we get both, we say "sod off". (only in the case

Yep, that's about the size of it.

> where someone wants to say REQUEST_CHUNKED_ERROR, of course, which leads
> me on to, err, why would anyone do that?). Thankyou.

If they need a content lenght. mod_cgi uses REQUEST_CHUNKED_ERROR, for
example, because CGI/1.1 specifies that the CONTENT_LENGTH environment
variable must be available for requests with an entity (that's how the CGI
spec defines the amount of client data to read, rather than something
sensible like reading until EOF).

Certainly, anyone writing a brand-new protocol today should properly deal
with chunked requests, but unfortunately we're stuck with legacy stuff
that this code deals with.