httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Revs for windows alone.
Date Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:08:13 GMT
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:
> > So does anybody feel strongly that 1.3.1 that is window's
> > only would be a BAD thing?
> I thought we agreed ages ago that we shouldn't delay unix just to wait for
> windows.  It only seems fair to go the other way as well.  1.3.1 should be
> released for unix as well though.

Agreed. If there's a good reason, we shouldn't be hesitant to do
Windows-only releases. Here, though, I think it's advisable to release
both. I can think of three reasons:

1. There are some non-Windows things in the code. Many, in fact. There are
51 entries in CHANGES for 1.3.1; only 6 are Win32-specific.

2. It's easy to make a Unix source release. If we don't, people will get
annoyed and email us. A lot of folks scour our web/ftp site every day,
just looking for new releases (these were the ones who found 1.3.0 a week
before we released it); no matter whether we tell them to use 1.3.1 or
not, they'll want it. I say we release it.

3. Even if it was Win32-only, a non-InstallShield, source-only release
would be nice, for people who don't want compile their own without IS
getting involved.

-- Alexei Kosut <> <>
   Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <> *

View raw message