httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: apache-nspr-08
Date Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:30:49 GMT
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Lemme get this straight... I start playing in apache-sandbox.  Then months
> later we say "duh, this is far enough along we should move it to
> apache-2.0". So um, how does Roy's suggestion avoid a name change/reorg?
> :)

I think what Roy's getting at is this: Right now, you're playing with your
neat new toys on a private machine, and posting snapshots every once in a
while. At some point, when you (or someone else) feels they're ready and
good, they may go into the mainline Apache repository. At that point,
there will be reorgnization and new code and changes no matter what.

But if you do your playing in apache-sandbox/dgaudet (and I think Roy's
suggestion that mail not be enabled for apache-sandbox is a good one),
then it's easy for the rest of us to look at your code at any point we
want, without you having to take the effor to tar it up and convince us to
download it; a cvs update will get it to us. And we can add code, too,
without it being a mess (although there should be rules about not
playing in someone's corner of the sandbox without asking them first). And
if it's decided to merge the files into apache-X.Y, we can keep history
information about them from before they were merged into the project.

It also lets you (or me, rather - this is something I was thinking about
earlier) develop on more than one machine, since apache-sandbox can be
checked out anywhere, not just on one machine.

Anyhow, just some ramblings. I think an apache-sandbox would be a good
idea.

P.S. It would also keep everyone's toys around forever. e.g., if rst had
kept apache-XX in apache-sandbox, and we wanted to go see how various
versions of his code did things, we wouldn't have to track down
two-year-old code that one of us might have saved from personal
communication with rst. It would just be there for us to look at
(copyright and privacy issues notwithstanding).