httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0, NSPR, C++, ...
Date Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:32:51 GMT
On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > If you can also stomach the idea of using C++ as a "better way to keep
> > lists of functions than C" then we're really cooking! (err, yeah, I'm
> > talking virtual functions here).
>
> No you'll have to whack on me some more.  It's best for you to introduce a
> subtle bug that you know I'll track down (i.e. put it in vhosts and then
> nobody else will touch it ;)... a subtle bug that when found I'll realize
> "oh duh, virtual functions solve this problem!"  ;)

Well, IMHO, putting virtual functions in the Apache core itself (at least,
right now) won't fix anything, and as you (Dean) made me painfully aware
earlier this year, they aren't the fastest buggers in the world (can
anyone say "Java"?). I mean, I don't see the need for polymorphism right
now, not without a real OO redesign of the core code.

On the other hand, the Apache modules are just crying out for it... the
module_struct structure in particular strikes me as a place that tries to
approximate polymorphic derived classes using a C language feature that
isn't perfect for the task.

Or whatever...