httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: News: IBM to Adopt Apache as Preferred E-commerce Web Server
Date Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:58:15 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, David D'Antonio wrote:

> >> Although I'm not sure people will understand my renting an apartment/owning
> >> a house analogy.  Or if I even do!
> >
> >Yeah I was thinking "uh brian, you've gone overboard on that one" ;)
>

> I've gone from renting a room to owning a house recently and I understand the
> anology. The trouble is, I'm feeling like it might be better to still be renting
> the
> room, since I can just call the landlord and get HIM to fix the toilet tank leak
> and clean up the resultant mess. So it might not have made the intended point.
> :-)

Except that the article doesn't explain the analogy, it just makes it. So
people can use whatever interpretation they want: maybe open source
software is the apartment and closed is the house. I mean, in the
apartment, you've got lots of people, all living in the same building but
none of them own it. A house is proprietary :)

(though I assume Brian meant open source was the house and closed is the
apartment. That was my first reaction, at least)