httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: PR listing, suexec PRs
Date Tue, 30 Jun 1998 05:38:28 GMT
On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Gregory A Lundberg wrote:

> I've been doing quite a bit of work recently in the suEXEC area.  As part
> of my work, I've put together a summary of the PRs for suEXEC.  My
> intention is, if nobody bellies up to work on these before I get to them,

Please do.

Just note that some of the anal restrictions that are in place right now
are there for a reason, and it is very difficult to open it up without
opening up security risks.  Even the current suexec has a certain level of
risk in it.

> I will be sending along fixes for most (if not all) of these issues.
> Anyway, here's my take on the PRs related to suEXEC:

[...]
> PR 1268
>   core needs another UID/GID to run CGIs under (per server) so that
>     system-wide CGIs (ala ScriptAlias) aren't run as the server UID/GID
>     I agree, I've seend this and wished it weren't so myself.  Dean
>     seems to agree, too.

This is a configuration issue; you can do it now just by using
virtualhosts for all your servers and using a User directive in the vhost.

> PR 1346
>   feedback is there marc!  This looks like another take on PR 1268 to
>     me.  In addition, the requirement that suEXEC only work for ~<user>
>     has always bothered me.

You can not just add the ability to run as owner without introducing a lot
more security risks.

> PR 2022
>   we've already setuid'd so we can't re-open the error log file.  if
>     we add syslog capabilities, this is a non-issue.

It is still an issue because syslog can not, should not, and would not be
the default.