httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kallen <...@gamespot.com>
Subject Re: Apache In The News: Latest PC Week Article
Date Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:29:07 GMT

Temporarily delurking here...
I did some benchmarking recently and was surprised at how high IIS and
Enterprise Server came out.  Just like MS and Sun torque their JVM's to do
well on the CaffeineMark benchmarks, I suspect they similarly optimize to
handle the extremely artificial environment of benchmarks.  For the
article I wrote up, I emphasized specifically that benchmarks measure one
thing and it's one thing that is not very important to me: how well the
server handles benchmark loads.  If folks here are really worried about
this then developing algorithms that optimize handling large numbers of
GETs from a proportionately small number of clients on low latency
networks should be a priority.  Otherwise, take it for what it is:
measurements that have little bearing on real world performance.  It's not
that I don't think the benchmark authors are sincere, I just don't think
they really understand the number of crazy factors that effect real world
performance: network latency, buggy browsers and goofy tcp/ip
implementations are not simulated.
-Ian