httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject config/2372: If libcrypt is installed, it will be used even if compiling for libc5 (fwd)
Date Mon, 08 Jun 1998 01:16:43 GMT
<sigh>

I am tempted to say "tough, if you are going to do things like that it is
your problem."  We can _not_ remove the -lcrypt test.

At most, we could add some option to prevent any automated tests from
adding any flags to the compile or link lines.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 8 Jun 1998 00:28:01 -0000
From: Steve Baur <steve@calag.com>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: config/2372: If libcrypt is installed, it will be used even if compiling for libc5

>Number:         2372
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       If libcrypt is installed, it will be used even if compiling for libc5
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
+ doing sanity check on compiler and options
ld: warning: libc.so.6, needed by /usr/lib/libcrypt.so, may conflict with libc.so.5

The Linux test for detecting -lcrypt is too aggressive.  I have all
compiler options set to values which worked for building against libc5
on a libc6 system (it worked in 1.2.6), except that -lcrypt gets
detected (it's there) even when I try to make a libc5 binary.
>How-To-Repeat:
Attempt to build apache on a Linux system with both libc5 and libc6
installed and attempt to build against libc5.
>Fix:
Libc6 is not ready for prime time, I'd suggest forcing the installer
to put -lcrypt in one of the Configuration flags.