httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com>
Subject Musing on binary tarballs
Date Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:49:45 GMT

Thoughts on the binary tarballs.

I too prefer shipping the entire mess with every one.  Sources
et. al.  I'd even lean toward including the .o and .a, but I
presume that would be too much for most to swallow.

I'd prefer that the binary tarball require a final install step
that moves things into the user's working directories.  That step,
to the extent possible, should rewrite things to the user's file
system.

Is that impossible?

This final install step should check that the user's machine
seems similar to the one the build was done on.

It ougth to be documented what the user can discard after
the install step.  There might be levels of that, for example
discarding the .o and .a, discarding the entire tree.

It is an unalloy'd good if the binary tar ball can be described
along these lines:  "This tape contains the result of following
the instructions found in INSTALL thru step D with the particulars
enumerated below.  You should proceed to do steps E and F to
finish up."  That means that all the users walk down
the same path, which might get tested.  The only difference
is that some users come onto the path at later points.

If there is to be a binary tarball that is smaller than the
everything then I'd prefer that it unpack into the apache-1.3
directory next to the usual source and build.

My fantasy is the build creates a set of things that form a
"pending install."  The small binary tarball (i.e. the one I
don't like) would then snapshot just that.

It is very good if the "pending install" is testable in place.

I want Ralf to do all the work so I can flame about this as a way
to vent my frustration about other projects.  Did I mention that
6 weeks now and the AlphaNT Visual C++ 5.0 is still lost in
purchasing?

I want a pony.

 - ben hyde

"To the untravelled, territory other than their own familiar
heath is invariably fascinating.  Next to love, it is the one
thing which solaces and delights.  Things new are too important
to be neglected, and mind, which is a mere reflection of sensory
impressions, succumbs to the flood of objects.  Thus lovers are
forgotten, sorrows laid aside, death hidden from view.  There is
a world of accumulated feeling back of the trite dramatic
expression--"I am going away." - Theodore Dreiser in _Sister
Carrie_