httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0, NSPR, C++, ...
Date Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:17:01 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Good question: I'm only interested in exploring whether C++ is a
> > sensible option for 2.0 (or 3.0 or 2.26 or whatever). I only set up the
> > Apache++ list because I was approached by people too nervous to discuss
> > it here because of the amount of heat it generated.
> >
> > I'd like to see the concept explored but do not currently have the time
> > or energy to do it single-handed.
>
> Yeah I would like to see that too.
>
> > Whatever happens, I would like to see a nice C++ interface for 2.0, but
> > I suppose that is also in the air.
>
> I'm in favour of C++ being used as a "better type checker than C".  If
> it's feasible.  After finding that mod_usertrack bug that was a result of
> strchr() "losing" the const I'm sold on the idea.  Maybe that means we'll
> need a few #ifdef __cplusplus sections in .h files which declare things
> slightly differently for C++ and for C... it's similar to the GNUC
> __attribute__s I've put in for printf-style warnings and whatnot.

OK, now we're talking! Note that in C++ it is possible to have two
strchr()s - one const, one non-const, without having to mess with three
zillion (oh, OK, I exaggerate - two in this case, but for strcmp() it
would be four, and so on) different names for each function.

If you can also stomach the idea of using C++ as a "better way to keep
lists of functions than C" then we're really cooking! (err, yeah, I'm
talking virtual functions here).

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/