httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Tacy <ch...@enginered.com>
Subject Re: Apache In The News: Latest PC Week Article
Date Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:41:35 GMT
also de-cloaking...

i don't know about "benchmark optimization" but IIS is *seriously*
optimized for serving static files. our benchmarks (Compaq 4way) showed
pretty outrageous performance for this sort of usage. of course... throw
in authentication or error handling or dynamic content (of any sort) and
all bets are off.

-c

Ian Kallen wrote:

> Temporarily delurking here...
> I did some benchmarking recently and was surprised at how high IIS and
> Enterprise Server came out.  Just like MS and Sun torque their JVM's to do
> well on the CaffeineMark benchmarks, I suspect they similarly optimize to
> handle the extremely artificial environment of benchmarks.  For the
> article I wrote up, I emphasized specifically that benchmarks measure one
> thing and it's one thing that is not very important to me: how well the
> server handles benchmark loads.  If folks here are really worried about
> this then developing algorithms that optimize handling large numbers of
> GETs from a proportionately small number of clients on low latency
> networks should be a priority.  Otherwise, take it for what it is:
> measurements that have little bearing on real world performance.  It's not
> that I don't think the benchmark authors are sincere, I just don't think
> they really understand the number of crazy factors that effect real world
> performance: network latency, buggy browsers and goofy tcp/ip
> implementations are not simulated.
> -Ian
>
> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> :> Your 500 requets/sec qare a _lot_ easier than theirs probably.
> :>
> :> This is over a large dataset (at least a few hundred megs) of varying
> :> sizes.
> :
> :Could be.  They don't expand on that aspect of it.  If IIS was twice as
> :fast as Apache on similar hardware, then I don't think I would be getting
> :all these NT/IIS/ASP to Unix/Apache/PHP converts showing up on the PHP3
> :mailing list.  Most of them cite performance and stability as their reason
> :for switching.
>
> --
> Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
>                 -- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1

chris tacy              president and co-founder
fire engine red         http://www.enginered.com/