httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <redd...@ibm.net>
Subject Apache++
Date Thu, 04 Jun 1998 17:41:56 GMT
I'm not too keen on the idea of moving to C++. Is the thinking
to completely redesign Apache or start using C++'isms in the existing
code base?  My experiences with the latter approach have been mostly
bad.
(Compiling with a C++ compiler to get stronger type checking is
okay...)

C++ provides a really rich design space (or phrased differently, there
is a
LOT more rope to hang yourself with). My observation (admittedly
limited) is that there is a strong tendency for new C++ developers
to employ features (inheritance rather than object composition for
example)
just because it is possible, not because is makes sense. There are a lot
of
subtle traps awaiting the unwary. Take a look at Scott Meyers book,
"Effective C++" for some examples. And multiple inheritance is pure
evil!

C++ is much more powerful but it is substantially more complex.
Are the benefits are worth having to deal with the complexities? I'm not

so sure. Not being a C++ guru,  my opinions are slightly biased....

The new C++ standard is goodness. It will take a while for all the
compiler
manufacturers to become fully compliant though, so care is needed in
setting the coding guidelines.

Bill Stoddard
wgstodda@us.ibm.com