httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Harrie Hazewinkel <harrie.hazewin...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: the use of ./configure
Date Tue, 02 Jun 1998 13:48:17 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

[snip]

> Sorry, but your understanding is wrong. Either you didn't read the INSTALL
> file carefully enough or we've been not clear enough there. There is at least
> the following note there:
>
> | NOTE: Although we'll often advice you to read the src/Configuration.tmpl
> |       file parts to better understand the various options in this
> |       section, there is _AT NO TIME_ any need to _EDIT_ this file. The
> |       _COMPLETE_ configuration takes place via command line arguments and
> |       loal shell variables for the ./configure script. The
> |       src/Configuration.tmpl file is just a _READ-ONLY_ resource, here.
>
> Ok, it doesn't explicitly say that src/Configuration shouldn't touched, too.
> But it says "The _COMPLETE_ configuration takes place via command line
> arguments and loal shell variables for the ./configure script.". This implies
> that you shouldn't edit any file.

Then it is also not completely clear. When I read the INSTALL
it says:

  |   Use the CC, OPTIM, CFLAGS, INCLUDES, LDFLAGS, LIBS, CFLAGS_SHLIB,
  |   LD_SHLIB, LDFLAGS_SHLIB, LDFLAGS_SHLIB_EXPORT and RANLIB
environment
  |   variables to override the corresponding default entries in the
  |   src/Configuration.tmpl file (see there for more information about
their
  |   usage).

Then I read in src/Configuration.tmpl

  |   # These are added to the general flags determined by Configure.
  |   # Edit these to work around Configure if needed. The EXTRA_*
family
  |   # will be added to the regular Makefile flags. For example, if you
  |   # want to compile with -Wall, then add that to EXTRA_CFLAGS. These
  |   # will be added to whatever flags Configure determines as
appropriate
  |   # and needed for your platform.

IMHO, it is confusing when you are used to the old approach.

HA HA
 mailto:harrie.hazewinkel@jrc.it       phone:+39+332+786322
 http://sikorsky.sai.jrc.it/~harrie/     fax:+39+332+785641
 postal: JRC of the E.C.  -  CEO  -  Ispra 21020 (VA) Italy
  Ik ben Harrie en ik ben 28 jaar en doe SNMP na. MIB, MIB