httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: config/2301: ROOT/src/include/conf.h must have valid default group andowner
Date Mon, 01 Jun 1998 17:41:37 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> <shrug>  Nothing new about that.  The conf.h has always had to have a
> user and group that exists or Apache won't run even if you set it to
> something else in your config files.  The last time I brought it up and
> wanted to fix it people objected saying it wasn't a bug and should work
> that way.  I gave up.

Well, it sounds like a misfeature to me.  It certainly violates the Principle
of Least Astonishment.  I opine that the conf.h values should be ignored
if the .conf files provide overrides.  It's unfriendly to allow the user
to provide a value, but varf if his system doesn't  have something matching
the hardcoded value which we'll never use.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/