httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Rasins <Sa...@Caribe-Enterprises.com>
Subject News: More IBM announcements
Date Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:21:45 GMT

From: newsletter@news.internetwk.com (Newsletter Internetwk)
Subject: InternetWeek Newsletter - June 22,1998

This is your InternetWeek Newsletter
for today Monday, June 22, 1998

1. Today's News

* Apache Is About to Turn the Web Blue

*************************

Apache Is About to Turn the Web Blue

The Apache HTTP server, by far the Internet's most widely deployed Web
server, will shortly become available from an unlikely source: IBM.

IBM and the Apache Project, the consortium of software developers
responsible for the Apache HTTP server, will announce today that IBM
will make Apache an option across its AIX and Windows NT servers, as
well as its AS/400 midrange and System 390 mainframe lines.

Today, IBM offers the various versions of Lotus Domino Go Web server,
the HTTP server inside IBM's new WebSphere Application Server, on
these platforms and will continue to do so.

The unprecedented deal between IBM and the Apache Project, negotiated
over the past 45 days, is described by senior IBM officials as a way to
bring IBM's "e-business" concepts and service to new customer segments,
particularly those small- and medium-sized firms IBM has targeted of late.
It is that sector, and ISPs, that account for the huge installed base of
Apache Web servers. By Ellis Booker

http://pubs.cmpnet.com/internetwk/news/news0619-2.htm

Copyright 1998 CMP Media Inc. a service of InternetWeek.

COMMENTS: <editor@news.internetwk.com>

     o Visit our web site @ http://www.internetwk.com
     o Visit the InternetWeek services page @
      <http://subscribe.internetwk.com/>