httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject STATUS file and CVSup: Horrible
Date Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:25:23 GMT

The apache-1.3/STATUS file has a lot of revisions and these seem to be the
reason why the syncing via CVSup is such horrible slow in the last weeks.
Actually it gets slower and slower. Currently when I update via CVSup I have
to wait up to 4(!) minutes for the Fixup of STATUS,v:

:> aps sync
____ CVSup'ing remote to local repository ____
cvsup -P- -g -E -L 2 -r 2 supfile
Parsing supfile "supfile"
Looking up address of dev.apache.org
Connecting to dev.apache.org
Connected to dev.apache.org
Server software version: REL_15_2
Falling back to protocol version 15.4
Negotiating file attribute support
Exchanging collection information
Establishing passive-mode data connection
Running
Updating collection cvs-all/cvs
 Edit apache-1.3/STATUS,v
  Add delta 1.423 98.06.11.09.55.20 rse
  Add delta 1.424 98.06.11.12.46.55 jim
apache-1.3/STATUS,v: Checksum mismatch -- will transfer entire file
 Edit apache-2.0/STATUS,v
  Add delta 1.39 98.06.11.10.01.30 coar
apache-2.0/STATUS,v: Checksum mismatch -- will transfer entire file
Applying fixups for collection cvs-all/cvs
 Fixup apache-1.3/STATUS,v
     ^^
Here it gets slower and slower while my router says CVSup does a lot of IP
traffic. So my questions are:

1. I'm the only one using CVSup or at least the only one
   who gets bothered by this increasing delay?

2. Can we do something to decrease this delay?

My idea is perhaps to remove some old revisions from the STATUS file or even
safe the current STATUS,v and add a fresh one.

Suggestions?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com