httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sake Hogeveen <S.J.Hogev...@phys.uu.nl>
Subject Re: Faking auth with proxypass? (FWD)
Date Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:13:22 GMT
Hello Alvaro Martinez Echevarria, in your e-mail message to me you wrote:

> In your particular case, I don't know if the solution Ralf
> proposed would work ("Header" into "<Location>" section), but it
> would be very easy to program a tiny module doing exactly what
> you want. It could look like this in the config:
>
> <Location http://www.whatever.com/>
> SetBasicAuth "myuser" "mypassword"
> </Location>
>
> Hope this helps.
> Regards.
> [PS: for the developers list: maybe this could be a nice feature
> to add in the future, although probably in a more complex and
> useful way; any thoughts about it? And by the way, for 2.0 I'd
> love to see a separate phase for proxy auth. I guess that's a
> matter for a different discussion]

Thanks for your efforts and discussions. From the information about the
HTTPD protocol (at www.w3.org) I understand that a proxy should leave
a client's request as unaltered as possible. I think that is a good
requirement for general proxies, intended for the reduction of
network traffic.

However, a `corporate' proxy (or is `gateway' a better term?) is
a different matter: why should or could this gateway not be an
active agent, acting on (corporate) client's requests as the
organization considers appropriate?

In the mean time, your suggestions lead me to the following quick
fix:

<Location /proxypass/mapped/dir>
Header set Authorization "Basic <base64_encoded_username:password>"
</Location>

worked when I altered the lines with "headers_out" (in mod_headers.c,
function do_headers_fixup) into "headers_in".

Thanks again, and best regards,

--
 Sake J. Hogeveen,
 Astronomical Institute, Utrecht University, Princetonplein 5,