httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Uwe Mager <...@helios.de>
Subject Re: Problem: buggy regex, WANTHSREGEX no chance
Date Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:19:22 GMT
On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 02:15:02PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> This is still a problem if you add -Lregex -lregex when building the
> shared library?

No, this works fine for my problem case. It embeds a copy of the
HSREGEX routines in every module referencing it, though. This also
means that you get a seperate copy of the global and static variables
of these routines for every .so module. I do not know enough about
HSREGEX and apache if any modules pass these compiled data structures
across module boundaries and if there is any global state associated
beyond the malloc area.

I could imagine a situation where passing a regex compiled in one
module freed in another module would not find any global state
associated, as each module has its own instantiation of the global and
static variables.

The AIX shared library concept is a bit unusual as it introduces a new
scope for symbols beyond what standard C provides, namely exported
symbols that are global across multiple load modules. Most ELF based
symbols simply make C global symbols also global across load modules.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3