httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: APACHE_RELEASE no longer always increasing?
Date Sun, 07 Jun 1998 01:18:56 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > Now it says that it always increases along the same track as the
> > source branch, but 1030000 (which is 1.3.0) IS greater than
> > 1020700 (which is 1.2.7)... logically, any code that uses this
> > should (1) instead use MMN if really that bothered and (2) should
> > be smart enough to "ignore" the last 2 digits since they signify
> > the beta sequence. The only "bits" worth notice are the first 5
>
> Ignoring the last 2 digits would be a tad tricky/ugly in a series of #if
> statements in the code.  I think I will happily continue using the MMN and
> completely ignore this APACHE_RELEASE number.

By ignoring meaning that if one wants version 1.3.5, for example,
one would need to

   #if APACHE_RELEASE == 1030500

If one wants a version less that 1.2.5, then

   #if APACHE_RELEASE < 1020500

Greater than 1.4.6 would be:

   #if APACHE_RELEASE > 1040699

Since no-one should worry about which "beta release" something is,
rather it should worry about MMN, code should "ignore" any information
in the last 2 digits :/

In any case, this isn't specific to 1.3.0... 1.2.6 has 1020600.

Ideally, both should have been 1030099 / 1020699