httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: APACHE_RELEASE no longer always increasing?
Date Sun, 07 Jun 1998 00:48:10 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > >
> > > apache_1.3b7: src/include/httpd.h (line 400):
> > >
> > > #define APACHE_RELEASE 1030007
> > >
> > > apache_1.3.0: src/include/httpd.h (line 400):
> > >
> > > #define APACHE_RELEASE 1030000
> > >
> > > Is this a problem?
> > >

> > The last 2 digits are "defined" as the beta release... Since this is the
> > real version, it's no longer a beta so they must be '00'... It _is_
> > counter-intuitive since the number is actually _less_ when comparing
> > a beta to a final release, but I don't think it's used for anything
> > particular...
>
> No, go back and look at how Roy defined it.  The last two digits are not
> defined just as the beta release, but they are supposed to increase by one
> from the last beta to the first non-beta.

This is how it's defined in httpd.h:

/* Numeric release version identifier: major minor bugfix betaseq
 * Always increases along the same track as the source branch.
 */
#define APACHE_RELEASE 1030101

Note that it says 'betaseq' which to my adled mind means "beta
sequence". It does not say something like "release sequence"
or "beta number if beta but if not beta then 1plus whatever the
last beta was."

If the original discussion was different, then so what? It's kind of
foolish to expect people to read the code and then spend time pouring
over the archives to see if the comments in the code are correct.

Now it says that it always increases along the same track as the
source branch, but 1030000 (which is 1.3.0) IS greater than
1020700 (which is 1.2.7)... logically, any code that uses this
should (1) instead use MMN if really that bothered and (2) should
be smart enough to "ignore" the last 2 digits since they signify
the beta sequence. The only "bits" worth notice are the first 5