httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: 1.3.0 announcement
Date Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:02:06 GMT
This sounds all like a Good Idea.

Of course, this means that the Announcement in the tarball won't be
the same as the "official" one, but that's no biggie IMO.

I'll move the tarballs into the real site and we can announce either
late 2nite or early 2morrow. I'll also start working on a beefed
up Announcement.

Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Before we can send the announcement to apache-announce, we need
> 1) An NT build.  It'll be the death of us if we don't :)  Paul?
> 2) We need to officially put it on the site 24 hours before we announce it,
> so the mirrors can grab it before we start driving lots of traffic.
> 3) The Announcement in the current repository needs some beefing up - I
> think it should also say:
>   a) This is now the "stable" tree - everyone running 1.2.X servers or
> earlier should upgrade to 1.3, as we will stop providing support for the
> 1.2.X tree, though we may make a release of 1.2.7 (what do you all think?)
>   b) I would like to see something like "18 months, 1500 bug reports, 500
> patches, and 150 total code contributors helped make the the release of
> 1.3.0 a reality"  :)
> 4) Binary builds!  It'd be nice if we had binaries for Linux, Solaris,
> FreeBSD, NT of course, and anything else anyone wants to volunteer.  Those
> should go up *before* the announcement.
> Announcing on a Friday night is a good strategy, as it allows the load to
> be somewhat smoother than if we announced on, say, a Wednesday.
> 	Brian
> pure chewing satisfaction

   Jim Jagielski   |||   |||