httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: 1.3.0 announcement
Date Fri, 05 Jun 1998 07:52:24 GMT

In article <3.0.3.32.19980605001306.0094a220@hyperreal.org> you wrote:

> 2) We need to officially put it on the site 24 hours before we announce it,
> so the mirrors can grab it before we start driving lots of traffic.

+1 in general, but the following things sounds like more work than can be done
in the next 24h, IMHO. Keep this in mind.

> 3) The Announcement in the current repository needs some beefing up - I
> think it should also say:

>   a) This is now the "stable" tree - everyone running 1.2.X servers or
> earlier should upgrade to 1.3, as we will stop providing support for the
> 1.2.X tree, though we may make a release of 1.2.7 (what do you all think?)

+1

>   b) I would like to see something like "18 months, 1500 bug reports, 500
> patches, and 150 total code contributors helped make the the release of
> 1.3.0 a reality"  :)

<grin> Nice, I like the idea. +1

> 4) Binary builds!  It'd be nice if we had binaries for Linux, Solaris,
> FreeBSD, NT of course, and anything else anyone wants to volunteer.  Those
> should go up *before* the announcement.

For this we first have to decide how a binary is rolled. Usually with the
taz:/pub/apache/dist/binaries/BinBuild stuff we used for 1.2.x. But we
have to adjust this stuff. I'll try to do this.

> Announcing on a Friday night is a good strategy, as it allows the load to
> be somewhat smoother than if we announced on, say, a Wednesday.

Sure, but we first have to do the above steps and as experience shows building
binaries etc. within 24h is too optimistic IMHO :-)

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com