httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: the use of ./configure
Date Tue, 02 Jun 1998 12:54:17 GMT

In article <3573CA27.5FFB@jrc.it> you wrote:

> I have found some problems with the use of './configure'
> during the installation process. I discovered

> Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that
> the 'configuration'-file src/Configuration is used to
> determine the configuration and that is setup by
> './configure'.

Sorry, but your understanding is wrong. Either you didn't read the INSTALL
file carefully enough or we've been not clear enough there. There is at least
the following note there:

| NOTE: Although we'll often advice you to read the src/Configuration.tmpl
|       file parts to better understand the various options in this
|       section, there is _AT NO TIME_ any need to _EDIT_ this file. The
|       _COMPLETE_ configuration takes place via command line arguments and
|       loal shell variables for the ./configure script. The
|       src/Configuration.tmpl file is just a _READ-ONLY_ resource, here.

Ok, it doesn't explicitly say that src/Configuration shouldn't touched, too.
But it says "The _COMPLETE_ configuration takes place via command line
arguments and loal shell variables for the ./configure script.". This implies
that you shouldn't edit any file.

> Thew problem:
> If I add an EXTRA_CFLAG in 'src/Configuration', like
> '-ggdb', it does not show up in the Makefiles.
> What happens is that the line of the 'EXTRA_CFLAGS' is

> EXTRA_CFLAGS=`$(SRCDIR)/apaci`
> and should be
> EXTRA_CFLAGS=-ggdb `$(SRCDIR)/apaci`

> The same is for the EXTRA_INCLUDES and the EXTRA_LIBS
> of the 'src/Configuration' when I would like to have
> for instance, 'EXTRA_INCLUDES=-I/usr/local/include'
> and 'EXTRA_LIBS=-L/usr/local/lib -lgdbm'.
> These lines stay empty.

Sure, the src/Configuration file never used by APACI.  The top-level configure
script reads src/Configuration.tmpl and generates src/Configuration.apaci
according to your command line options. It never touches the src/Configuration
file because this is the one for manual configuring and building. When
you read the top-level INSTALL file you see that the correct way is this:

$ CFLAGS="-ggdb" \
  INCLUDES="-I/usr/local/include" \
  LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lgdbm" \
  ./configure ...

> If I repeat this for the 'src/Configuration.tmpl' I
> get the following results

> EXTRA_CFLAGS does not show up in the Makefiles.
> EXTRA_INCLUDES shows up in the Makefile
> EXTRA_LIBS shows up in the Makefile

Sure, Configuration.tmpl is a template and not for manually editing. It's
entries get overridden by APACI on-the-fly when Configuration.apaci is
generated.

> It seems to me that the './configure' script takes its
> input from 'src/Configuration.tmpl' instaed of
> 'src/Configuration' and the EXTRA_CFLAGS are not
> included at all in the Makefiles.

Correct. APACI operates the same way as the user manually operates: It reads
the template from Configuration.tmpl and generates the actual one under a
different name. The user uses Configuration or Configuration.myself or
whatever while APACI uses Configuration.apaci.

> I tested this with the 1.3.0 on a SUN ultra 5 with
> Solaris 2.6 and the 1.3b7 on a FreeBSD 3.0 .

Seems like your confusion is because you didn't read carefully enough the
APACI details in the top-level INSTALL file. If you did, please recommend us
what we have to add or change to make it more clear how APACI works.

Thanks.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com