httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Ford <and...@icarus.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: cronolog log rotation program and quick reference card
Date Thu, 28 May 1998 15:32:04 GMT
Martin.Kraemer@mch.sni.de (Martin Kraemer) writes:

> On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 09:37:58PM +0100, Andrew Ford wrote:
> > I have had a message from Martin Kraemer asking whether I would donate
> > my cronolog program to the Apache Group.  This program writes to
> > files, the names of which are specified by a strftime format string;
> > it closes the current file and opens a new file at the appropriate
> > times.
>
> It sure beats the included rotatelog program, because the generated names
> are predictable. The rotatelog simply uses %ld for what time(NULL)
> returns, while Andrew's program can automatically create subdirectories as
> needed, like in
>   TransferLog "|/usr/.../bin/cronolog /usr/.../logs/%Y/%m/%d/access_log"
>
> I tried it, it's definitely useful. I asked Andrew to change the license
> from GPL to something we could integrate.

I have no objection to replacing my company's copyright with the
Apache copyright and the Apache license being applied to cronolog
(actually the current license terms are identical to those of Perl,
i.e. GPL or Artistic license).

I have also been meaning since 1996 to rewrite cronolog as
mod_cronolog -- merging the code with mod_log_config.c, since a number
sites using cronolog complain about the number of cronolog processes.
I have not yet got round to it, but it is the logical thing to do.

Andrew
--
Andrew Ford                             Email: A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk
Director, Ford & Mason Ltd.             WWW:   http://www.ford-mason.co.uk/aford/