httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <>
Subject Re: chdir isn't thead specific
Date Wed, 06 May 1998 22:43:46 GMT
Dean wrote
>On Wed, 6 May 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:

>> Second, what to do...
>> A mutex that owns the current working directory looks necessary.
>> Revising all the subprocess command execution to take a
>> directory would also be good.

Pesky amount of change this late in the game.

>Right, if it took a directory then on unix the chdir() could happen after
>the fork() and everything is all real simple.  On NT... allow me to puke

brainwashing proceeds more smoothly on an empty stomach

>The CGI "spec" doesn't *require* the current directory to be changed in
>this arcane manner.

Well that's water under the bridge.  The spec is probably out of
synch with practical reality at this point.

I wonder where the chdir to "/" done in the service_cd() falls on
the spectrum from "seemed like a good idea" to "world ends without it"?
If it's on the right then these other chdirs need to switch back
and we can't cache the last one usefully.

spawn_mutex is probably relevant.

  - ben hyde

View raw message