httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: heavy and lightweight pools...
Date Tue, 26 May 1998 01:01:57 GMT

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:

> The only operation I've desired was the ablity to assign it a block of
> memory to manage (i.e. the block I obtained via memory mapping).  Then
> I could use it for interprocess I/O and for persistant data storage.

Hmm, just handing it a hunk of memory isn't good enough... you need a
semaphore if it's shared memory...

and for persistance it needs some way to know where it was loaded in
memory previously and hopefully it'll come back there every time...
because the pool structures themself include pointers that would need to
be updated.

But (hello C++ folks) if we used a function pointer table and let folks
provide their own implementation of everything, that'd cover it.  In this
case, everything is provided by the implementation, not just memory
functions, but cleanup registration and such.

Dean