httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: the requirements of keep-alive support
Date Mon, 25 May 1998 18:58:19 GMT

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Ian Kallen wrote:

> I guess I was expecting the required number of processes in the pool to
> decrease with keep-alives on but that's not been the case.

No it's definately not the case.  It's the opposite.  When keepalives are
turned on you require usually four processes per client, and they stick
around doing nothing until the next request or timeout.  I'm surprised you
see the same behaviour with a timeout of 3 seconds though... you didn't
change SCOREBOARD_MAINTENANCE_INTERVAL did you?

Do you know if timeouts are broken?  Try this:

telnet myserver 80
GET / HTTP/1.0
Connection: keep-alive

Don't forget the extra CRLF there at the end... and then wait after the
response, and time it to see that it closes after your keepalive timeout.

Dean