httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: alloca (was Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_log_referer.c)
Date Mon, 25 May 1998 05:42:39 GMT

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Sun, 24 May 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > > people to buy computers that make sense. Whose bright idea was it to give
> > > the x86 only 16 registers anyway? SPARC has 40. PA-RISC chips have 72. And
> > > those are only the integer ones.
> >
> > x86 has 6 that are of general use, and 2 that typically have hardwired
> > uses (%esp, %ebp).  It would be heavenly to have 16 registers... maybe
> > you're thinking of 680x0.
>
> When I type "info registers" into gdb, it lists 16 entries. That's what I
> was counting. Is that wrong?

Yeah, half of those are useless in a general sense.  All the segment
registers (cs, ss, ds, es, fs, gs) are legacy crud.  Nobody uses segmented
32-bit architectures... and even if they did, these registers are just
extensions of the 8 general purpose registers to form full pointers.

>From the point of view of a compiler it has 6 registers (or 7 depending on
the stack frame convention).

Dean