httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache++
Date Mon, 25 May 1998 00:04:03 GMT
To be honest, I would rather see this, and some of the other discussion
and coding we're having (and will have) on an "apache-ng" mailing list
hosted @apache.org... well actually I wouldn't mind seeing it on
new-httpd, but I figure that it's easier to get folks to join into
something that doesn't start off with a high volume of unrelated mail :)

>From my point of view, the main thing C++ has to offer is an alternative
API.  The rest (high performance, reliable, correct) is just a small
matter of coding, and can be done just as easily in C++ as in C (although
I reserve the right to bitch about lameness caused by C++ compilers
inserting extra code to do indirect function calls, and if anyone so much
as blinks at multiple inheritance, I'll strangle you ;)

As far as portability goes, the platforms I'm interested in is essentially
limited to the most recent stable versions of Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris,
HPUX, and OSF/1.  For all of those we know we have g++.  There's WIN32
where we know we have MSVC.  I don't really care about anything else,
because folks shouldn't be running high-end webservers on them... we could
always spin off apache 1.x to a group of folks that need to maintain it
for "legacy" systems.  Kind of a radical opinion I suppose, and I wouldn't
mind hearing from our "obscure" system folks (i.e. Martin, Mark Bixby, the
IBM folks that popped up several months ago regarding some switching
system they're using apache with...) ... the main thing that needs to be
decided on is which subset of C++ we could use and still get working
compilers on those systems.

That said, I'll go join your mailing list so I can bitch and moan and
figure out how to integrate my NSPR work with your C++ work.

i.e. I'm "in" on the C++ bandwagon... if only because I don't feel like
arguing every time a "C++ can do it better than C!" post is made :)

Dean