httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject threaded reliability (was RE: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_main.c)
Date Sun, 24 May 1998 22:57:53 GMT

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Dale Couch wrote:

> I must say the process model is very nice because you all have the advantage
> that the actual program restarts after X number of requests if it is
> misbehaving.  We have to stop the entire server and restart it.  On a large
> volume site there are people who get 'server not available' messages while
> you are doing that.  Plus if the server decides to commit suicide there is
> nothing to take its place.

Any suggestions?  ISTR that WIN32 doesn't allow multiple processes to use
accept() on the same socket... it's not even a matter of whether they do
it simultaneously or use a shared lock, they just can't do it period.

I figure even with the NSPR work that we'll still support models which use
fork() on unix to create a few heavy-weight processes and then schedule
threads within those (the "MSM" model in my proposal for example).  But I
don't think this is possible at all on WIN32.  any win32 experts care to
enlighten me?

Dean