httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache++
Date Wed, 20 May 1998 04:01:20 GMT

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Mike Belshe wrote:

> An interesting datapoint would be to try taking the Apache code base and just
> running it through a C++ compiler.  The stronger type checking will require some
> massaging to make the code compile, I'm sure.  But I'll bet it catches at least
> 3-5 real bugs without any changes to actual code.

I doubt it would catch anything without more agressive use of C++ typing
features.  Apache passes the various lint-like warnings that "gcc -Wall
-O" and other compilers give.  In fact I think someone did send us a patch
once which made the entire server compile under C++ and they only had to
fix the "pool" as-typedef vs. "pool" as-variable issues.

Dean

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/signed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message