httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject RE: MSDOS File System Curiosities (was Showstoppers)
Date Wed, 06 May 1998 20:12:49 GMT

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:

> The code to catch these filenames is sufficently hairy that maybe it
> can become a performance issue and Dean will volunteer to write it. :-)

No way!  I'm laughing my face off thinking "microsoft is so stupid to
continue this madness into NT!".  They only need it in DOS boxes on NT, I
can't imagine what hairbrained silliness made them enable it in all
filesystems.  ISTR there's a registry setting to turn all of this nonsense
off... if I was so foolish as to be running a website on NT I'd be finding
that setting.

Plus the other setting which disables shortnames... so that you could get
rid of that other mess of inefficiency.

> Meanwhile it still is a puzzlement how to generate the list of
> "reserve words."  In another part of the "doc" very similar to the
> "general guidelines" it says "do not use device names."

Isn't there some indication in stat()?  I know that wraps some system
call... but ISTR that in WATCOM's C library we had the concept of a
"device" in stat.  But my manuals for this are 4 years away from my
current life.

> p.s. My coworkers are finding this problem very amusing.

:)

Dean