httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Adding the OS type
Date Wed, 06 May 1998 00:23:06 GMT

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> +API_EXPORT(void) ap_add_version_component(const char *component)
> +{
> +    if (! version_locked) {
> +        /*
> +         * If the version string is null, register our cleanup to reset the
> +         * pointer on pool destruction.
> +         */
> +        if (server_version == NULL) {
> +           ap_register_cleanup(pconf, NULL, (void (*)(void *))reset_version,
> +                               NULL);
> +       }
> +       /* Prepend the given component identifier to the string */
> +       server_version = ap_pstrcat(pconf, component, " ", server_version,
> +                                   NULL);
> +    }
> +}

If nothing calls ap_add_version_component except the core, this puts an
extra space at the end of the version string.

This is one of those things I meant by "my version was tested".

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> > I'm curious.  Why don't you just start from my patch and remove the pieces
> > which removed SERVER_SUBVERSION?  The rest of my patch was completely
> > tested.
>
> In part because you used loaded terms like "ap_add_insecurity," partly
> because you introduced additional global symbols, partly because it
> exposed the version-string cell, partly because it changed the entire
> SERVER_*VERSION handling, and partly because I felt it was a challenge
> to do it in a simpler (MHO) way.  After all, *you* didn't start from
> *my* patch, which was also completely tested.. :-)

Ah I see.  I suppose I added the ap_server_version global because I figured
you'd flip if I tried to remove ap_get_server_version from buildmark.c,
which I see is how you solved that particular problem :)

Dean