httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Mon, 04 May 1998 18:53:55 GMT
On Mon, 4 May 1998, Dmitry Khrustalev wrote:

> stat is expensive because it has to run namei, fstat is not so expensive.
> opening file in get_path_info, and saving fd in request_rec and using this
> saved fd later saves ~1/6 of system time here.

Yeah I think you mentioned this to me before, and I think I tried it once.
I forget what I ran into though which bothered me.  BTW, this pretty much
isn't the case on linux 2.1.x because of the dcache... which caches
filename -> inode translations.  But that's the only unix I'm aware of
with that feature.

I'll put this change into apache-nspr.  I've also been thinking about
various caches:

- metadata (stat()), but I haven't figured out an easy way to invalidate
it, other than to just keep entries for 15 seconds

- directory contents, for url -> multiviews; this can be kept around as
long as the mtime on the directory remains the same

- (unix) mmaped files

- (win32) open filedescriptors

Dean