httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Mon, 04 May 1998 08:30:31 GMT

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Michael Douglass wrote:

> >   +    * The DoS issue about symlinks to /dev/zero is still present.
> >   +      A device checker patch had been sent to the list a while ago.
> >   +      Msg-Id: ?
> >   +       Jim: Couldn't we just use stat() and check the file-type?
> >   +            stats are expensive though...
>
> I was just sitting here thinking of a way to handle this.  Instead of
> trying to detect this information every time you transfer a file;

We already need to stat() for every hit -- last-modified, and
content-length for example are required.  There's already a test for
devices and such.  Marc mentioned that the problem is config files I
think.

> Another interesting thought is to have this same logic add the filename
> to a list of 'bad' filenames to compare against before transfering.

In 1.x this is hard to do because it's multiprocess, so shared structures
are a real chore.  But in 2.0... yeah, caches are what we need to catch up
with the other fast servers out there.

> Hrmm...  Anyone have any thoughts on a 'critical_log'?  Seems that the
> 'error_log' can get full of useless information.  Perhaps for 2.0?

You mean like "grep '\[crit\]' error_log"  ?

> P.S.  Anyone going to Networld+Interop in Vegas?  I'd be more than
>       interested in meeting some of you apache people.

Nope.  When I get away from here the last thing I want to do is more
computer stuff :)

Dean