httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <alvaro-ht...@lander.es>
Subject Re: User-agent percentages?
Date Wed, 27 May 1998 01:17:48 GMT
On Tue, 26 May 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Has anyone (including the lurkers ;-) done an analysis recently
> of the user-agent names hitting their sites?  I'm wondering about
> the penetration of CSS-capable browsers..

I've just extracted these data from a more general report written
around a week ago by Roberto Lumbreras (<rover@lander.es>); these
numbers were calculated after more than half a million requests
received by our servers.

  %   | Browser
------+----------------
23.45 | MSIE 4.0
15.83 | MSIE 4.01
12.96 | Netscape 4.03
11.98 | MSIE 3.01
 9.40 | MSIE 3.0
 6.78 | MSIE 3.02
 3.34 | Netscape 3.01
 2.64 | Netscape 4.04
 1.86 | Netscape 3.0
 1.79 | Netscape 3.01Gold
 1.64 | Netscape 4.01
 1.40 | Netscape 4.05
 0.77 | Netscape 3.04
 0.73 | Netscape 3.0Gold
 0.59 | Netscape 4.02
 0.59 | Netscape 4.0
 0.47 | Netscape 2.02
 0.38 | Netscape 1.1
 0.35 | Netscape 2.0
 0.31 | MSIE 2.0
 0.29 | MSIE 2.1
 0.14 | Netscape 3.04Gold
 0.14 | Netscape 3.03
 0.14 | Netscape 2.01
 0.10 | Netscape 3.03Gold

Which makes around the 98% of all requests. If you're wondering
about the cause of the high percentage of MSIE vs. low Mozilla's
(68% vs. 30%)... well, I can tell here in Spain the commercial
policy of Microsucks regarding ISPs has been very aggressive.
Exactly the opposite to Netscape's. In fact MS advantage was
even bigger before Netscape went free.
Hope this helps.
Regards.

|   Alvaro Martínez Echevarría   |      LANDER SISTEMAS            |
|        alvaro@lander.es        |      Pº Castellana, 121         |
                                 |      Tel: +34-91-5562883        |
                                 |      Fax: +34-91-5563001        |