httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: Some Win32 release stuff....
Date Wed, 20 May 1998 12:38:27 GMT
On Tue, 19 May 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> 1) could we change access_log and error_log to access.log and error.log in the
> .conf-dist-win files?

+1

> 2) can we change the .conf-dist-win files to simply be .conf files when the
> Win32 release gets built?  it avoids the clunky "first you have to rename
> such-and-such... yes, I know that file already exists..."

Umm, the binary installer now emulates pretty closely what APACI's make
install does (since consistency is good). That is: the configuration files
are installed as

  conf\httpd.conf.default,
  conf\mime.types.default

Then, for each file, if the corresponding file without ".default" _does
not exist_, it is _copied_ to the final filename. So that a new
installation ends with a conf directory containing all the "live" files,
plus the ".default" ones. But on an upgrade no existing files are
overwritten, and the user has "*.default" files in the conf directory to
compare against their live files and upgrade bits as needed.

Similarly for the htdocs directory, where htdocs\index.html is
not overwriten if it does not exist (in this case, index.html.default is
not used). The main difference from APACI is that the windows installer
always installs the manuals (into htdocs\manuals) [provided the user
selects the manuals component, of course] even if the htdocs directory
exists. In APACI if htdocs exists, htdocs/manuals is not installed (which
may be a mistake, since it leaves the user with an outdated
htdocs/manuals).

However I would much prefer to see us install the manuals into a top-level
manuals directory, and add "Alias /manuals @@ServerRoot@@/manuals" to
httpd.conf. They we could always safely upgrade the user's manuals without
touching their document root.

Paul