httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ron O'Hara" <r...@pen.sentuny.com.au>
Subject Re: Apache++
Date Sat, 16 May 1998 21:35:59 GMT
Ben,

My uncolicited comment on the C++ v/s C question is this.

Try to get a head count (rough estimate) of the people who can
read/inspect/debug code written in C++ and in C.

I dont have any numbers but it's a safe bet that 'C' programmers are more
plentiful - after all, all C++ programmers can write C, but the reverse is
not true.

The size of the developer/review population is an important element in any
Open Source project.

Proposing the use of C++ is proposing a reduction in the manpower
available to support Apache.. This directly undermines one of the main
strengths behind the development method of the Apache group.

For my $0.02, thats a bad idea. It outweighs any technical advantage of
one language over another.

Regards
Ron O'Hara