httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: apache-nspr-05
Date Sat, 09 May 1998 02:25:53 GMT
On Fri, 8 May 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 10:35 PM 5/5/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >http://www.arctic.org/~dgaudet/apache/2.0/apache-nspr-05.tar.gz
>
> So, not to be really silly or anything, but NSPR runs on the Mac, right?
> Anyone out there with a Mac compiler want to give this a whirl?  Alexei?
> Beuhler?

I don't have the tools (or hard disk space) to compile NSPR, but even
assuming it works (and based on Navigator's performance on the Mac vs.
that on Windows, I suspect that it does not work well), there are still
plenty of Unixisms and POSIXisms in apache-nspr that just won't work on
the Mac.

The lack of realistically-usable processes (e.g. fork()) is a big problem,
even with threads (i.e., CGI, etc...), and the lack of pipes and signals
and other Unix-like forms of IPC are a problem. And the Mac file system
looks nothing like Unix or Win32. It doesn't have stat(), for example, and
it uses ":" as the path delimiter instead of "/" or "\".

In other words, while NSPR probably makes a Mac port much easier, it still
would take a fair bit of work. It certainly isn't going to compile as is.
(Maybe this is a good excuse for me to go out and buy CodeWarrior Pro 3).

This is just off the top of my head, though. YMMV.