httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Win32 naming
Date Tue, 19 May 1998 17:34:39 GMT

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > Why are modules called things like
> >   apachemoduleauthanon.dll
> >
> > and not something simpler like
> >   authanon.dll

> Windows doesn't pay much attention to paths, only to DLL names (or at
> least, that's how it was last time I checked), so the idea was to avoid
> name clashes by using a probably unique name.

Please, please, as we are already limited to W95 (and thus can rely on
long filenames) having a product specific prefix is _really_ worth aiming
at. I would even advocate putting a major version number in. It is so easy
to get bitten by conflicts; at happens to me so often; in particular when
you try to use DLLs as functionality plug ints.

Dw