httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: [STATUS] (apache-1.3) Wed May 13 23:45:35 EDT 1998
Date Thu, 14 May 1998 07:48:57 GMT

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     * Ed Korthof's patch to fix protocol issues surrounding 400, 408, and
>       <Pine.GSO.3.95.980204191834.4314K-200000@aether.organic.com>

Functional for me.

>     * Ralf's "linking DSO modules against possible libraries from $(LIBS)":
>       This patch is a first step for a more powerful and less restrictive DSO
>       mechanism: We allow DSO modules to be linked against other DSO libraries
>       when the system permits it.
>       See: http://www.engelschall.com/sw/apache/ [libshlib]
>       Status (for 1.3.1-dev): Ralf +1

This makes the make work for me on digital, solaris _and_ BSDi. Something
earlier cuts did not manage.

>     * Okay, so our negotiation strategy needs a bit of refinement.  See
>       <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.980429182338.15569d-100000@twinlark.arctic.org>.
>       In general, we need to go through and clean up the negotiation
>       module to make it compliant with the final HTTP/1.1 draft, and at the
>       very least we should make it more copacetic to the idea of transferring
>       gzipped variants of files when both variants exist on the server.

>     * Roy's HTTP/1.1 Wishlist items:
>         4) update the Accept-Encoding parser to allow q-values

As a matter of fact this _will_ touch the entire API; as what 1.1 (or at
least my understanding) really requires is:

	- treat each of the Mime variant fields as a dimension
		i.e charset, language and content-type
		and transfer encoding(s)

	- be able to re-negotiate each on dimension

Currently we treat the content-type itself as a prime specifier, and then
fumble in the charset; whereas the language is specified as a secondary
specifier. See contrib mod_i18n.c for what a mess this gives when you want
to negotiate for your chinese customers on langauge, charset, encoding
_and_ mimetype. The way HTTP/1.1 addresses it seems academic; so the
shortcut currently taken might be admisseble; but my real question is, is
it worthwile to really split up the variant dimensions. I guess you have
to do it when you start daisy chaning modules in the future. We found
sofar that since charset and language are tightly coupled it is just about
workable.

Dw.