httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: threaded reliability (was RE: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_main.c)
Date Sun, 24 May 1998 22:21:18 GMT
On Sun, 24 May 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 1998, Dale Couch wrote:
>
> > I must say the process model is very nice because you all have the advantage
> > that the actual program restarts after X number of requests if it is
> > misbehaving.  We have to stop the entire server and restart it.  On a large
> > volume site there are people who get 'server not available' messages while
> > you are doing that.  Plus if the server decides to commit suicide there is
> > nothing to take its place.
>
> Any suggestions?  ISTR that WIN32 doesn't allow multiple processes to use
> accept() on the same socket... it's not even a matter of whether they do
> it simultaneously or use a shared lock, they just can't do it period.
>
> I figure even with the NSPR work that we'll still support models which use
> fork() on unix to create a few heavy-weight processes and then schedule
> threads within those (the "MSM" model in my proposal for example).  But I
> don't think this is possible at all on WIN32.  any win32 experts care to
> enlighten me?

<Microsoft mode on>
Just modify the client so it randomly picks a port between 80 and 90 to
connect on, then you can run 10 processes each on a different port.
</Microsoft off>

<Microsoft mode on, compatibility enabled>
Oh, that is what virtual hosts are for.  Just make a lot of virtual hosts
on different IP addresses and use round robin DNS.
</Microsoft off>

(no, I have no idea if it is possible to use multiple processes on Win32)